Monday, August 24, 2009

Cooked like a wild woman

This weekend was my "Cook Like A Wild Woman" weekend with Tara. It was a lot better than I had anticipated.

The drive there took about 3 hours. She's a talker, so she was able to keep the conversation going and we ended up having a pretty good heart to heart about life and relationships. She spoke a lot about her boyfriend and made it seem like they've discussed marriage and she's basically waiting on the proposal. So, I don't feel as threatened...for now. She actually asked if I did anything exciting for my birthday so that kind of opened a can of worms.
(For those who don't know, Greg didn't really do anything for my birthday. My dad was here and he kind of used that as an excuse. Rather than tell me ahead of time that we were going to celebrate my birthday another day, he just didn't do anything. So, that evening I was left thinking that he didn't get me a present, a card, didn't make me a cake or dinner. Nothing. I was really hurt. I talked about it with him and the next day he made me a cake and on Sunday he gave me a card, but I still haven't gotten a present yet. Apparently he had the plan to put $500 toward a new bike for me. Not that I don't believe him, it's just a slow-moving plan and I'm still really hurt by what happened. The fact that people are STILL asking me what I did for my birthday, or what Greg got for me doesn't help! I mean how does "he didn't do anything for me and hasn't gotten me a present yet" sound good in any way?!!)
I discussed that with Tara and she was a good listener. She was married a few years ago and she was telling me about that relationship and unfortunately a lot of her issues with her marriage seem to be issues I'm having with Greg now. The other day Greg and I had a talk about our relationship and I told him some things I'm unhappy with like how I feel taken for granted. So, we're kind of at an awkward stage in the relationship and we're trying to see if it will get better or worse.

ANYWAY!! I didn't not start typing this to talk about my relationship problems!! I wanted to tell you about my weekend!

Going in to the weekend, I thought we were going to be foraging for food and learning how to cook over a campfire. However, really wasn't anything like that. We did some foraging for edible plants, which turned out to be really good. But for the most part the weekend should have been called "Eat Like A Wild Woman," because all we did was eat. I did get the opportunity to eat a lot of things normal would not, so that was kind of neat. This is the list of what I ate:

Saturday:
Lunch-
Venison steak and cheese sub
Caribou stew
Black crappie nuggets-fish nuggets. Really nasty, don't know why I tried.

Appetizers-
Bear Sausage
Venison salami-really good!!
Goose Pate-tastes like tuna (so nasty!!)
Bear tips-really rough, like chewing gum
Bear meatballs
Hard cider

Dinner-
Moose pot roast
Steams greens (dandelion leaves)-GROSS!
Wild rice

Dessert-
Museum pudding-made with blueberries we picked! Really good!
Berry crumble-made with berries we picked. Kind of tart


Sunday:
Brunch-
Salad-made with greens we picked
Blueberry vinegrette-good!
Moose sloppy joes-really good!
Elderberry flower fritters-flowers fried in batter. Really good!
Terriyaki beaver-pretty nasty
Wild mushroom soup-I don't like mushrooms, but this was really good.
Blueberry liquor
Blackberry liquor

That's all I can remember for now, but I'm pretty sure that's everything. They also served woodchuck and quail, but by that time the thought of eating more, especially meat really grossed me out. And, I saw the quail when they were alive, so I wasn't okay with that. I also got to gut a trout, but I didn't eat it. I was actually pretty good at it, so I might have to fish for trout so I can cook them up! Overall, I think moose was my favorite. This was mainly due to the fact that it tasted like beef and wasn't chewy like the bear. So, it was a fun weekend. I was surprised to learn how many plants are edible. I do have pictures, but my computer is lame and I don't dare hook anything of mine to Greg's PC.

In other news, my computer is still being stupid. Apple said I need my start-up disk to fix the problem, but of course I can't find it. I called them yesterday and they're going to mail me on within two weeks for $32. If this doesn't fix the problem I'm just going to throw it out the window and call it a day.

I think that's all I have to say. I would appreciate if you guys updated your blogs for once in your lives, but that's neither here nor there.

1 comment:

  1. KENDRA!
    I just read this and your bike blog and I laughed out loud multiple times, which is kind of strange because right now, I'm in the middle of a conference hall in Indianapolis for my job surrounded by practically nobody I know.
    Anyways, I love you and I miss you SO MUCH. I'm sorry that I haven't updated anything in a million years. I will try to do that this weekend.
    I hope you are good and having fun with your new bike! :)

    P.S. While I was just writing this, some lady took a million photos of me that will probably go on some convention website somewhere. AWKWARD.

    ReplyDelete